Most of the nootropic supplements focus on cognitive functions such as memory, learning, and reason. However, many of these supplements have also proven to be effective in the area of stress relief. Nootropics with this effect are able to improve one’s mood, make them feel relaxed, and lessen worry-related symptoms. Let’s take a closer look at how these supplements work to reduce stress and what are some of the most effective nootropics in this regard.
How Supplements Work to Reduce Stress
Stress can be caused by one or more factors: mental, physical, work, finances, or other day-to-day problems. Scientifically, stress is the result of a deficiency of GABA (gamma aninobutryic acid) which is the brain’s natural sedative. When GABA levels are low, nerve cells become overactive, and nervousness and stress result. In extreme cases, this deficiency may cause panic attacks.
Supplements that help to reduce stress therefore work by increasing the levels of GABA in the brain and therefore make one feel more relaxed and at ease.
Top Nootropics for Stress
There are many supplements around (including herbal ones) that may help to reduce stress. However, these are the top nootropics recommended by users:
- Phenibut. Phenibut is a derivative of GABA that was originally used in Russia. It is used for relief of fear, tension, stress, fatigue, and also has some cognitive enhancement properties such as memory enhancement. It has a similar effect to alcohol and acts as a mild sedative causing slight diminished control over actions.
- Aniracetam. Among the family of the racetams, Aniracetam has been found to be one of the most effective in terms of stress relief. The supplement works by modulating the effects and production of the neurotransmitters Serotonin, Dopamine and GABA within the brain. Animal studies conducted on the supplement show that Aniracetam has a wide range of anxiolytic properties and has potential as use in various stress-related problems.
- Noopept. Considered to be one of the most potent among the racetams, Noopept has varying effects from person to person. It is understood to work by stimulating Dopamine receptor sites as well as stimulating some Serotonin receptors. When it comes to stress, Noopept is said to be up to 200 times stronger than Aniracetam and also has a longer half life allowing the stress-relieving effects to last for several hours even with a single dosage.
- Picamilon. Picamilon is similar to Phenibut in the sense that it is also a GABA derivative. Picamilon is easily soluble in water and exhibits tranquilizing properties without the side effects of drowsiness or lethargy. Its ability to pass through the blood barrier and enter brain tissue makes it an effective anxiolytic.
- Inositol. Also known as Vitamin B8, Inositol is another effective supplement to reduce stress. Inostol is effective in improving mood, promoting relaxation, reducing panic and general stress relief.